Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Keeping Kids Interested

Have you ever had a really awesome teacher or professor who introduced you to so many new things, that did more than just go over the bare minimum, that always made sure you "got it" and never gave up on any of the students in the classroom? I have. And if someone just came to mind for you, you have too.

Isn't it crazy how much of an impact teachers have on students? For this reason, I am motivated to be a great teacher. I don't want to be average. I want to make a difference in children's lives. I am wanting to soak in as much as possible while here at UNI in the teacher education program.

One thing that I've learned a lot of this semester is how I can make sure that I keep my students interested. I think this is important because in order to make a difference in kids' lives by teaching them, you need to have their attention.

Technology is a great way to get kids' attention because they are using it more and more nowadays, and they are "good" at it. Kids know how to use smartphones, laptops, iPhones, internet, etc. This semester at UNI, I have spent a lot of time studying and learning what it looks like to integrate technology into the classroom. One way that I plan on using in my future classroom is by using technology for everyday things that you wouldn't necessarily think about using technology for; taking attendance, getting to instructions for an assignment, sending assignments home via internet, having a Facebook page for the classroom that the parents can look at each day to see what their child has been learning, etc.

I plan on becoming a special education teacher, which requires me to look a little bit harder for technology I can use to implement in my future SPED classroom.

I have attached a link to the Apple iTunes store that is called SoundingBoard by AbleNet. Essentially, it is an app for an iPod or iPad that lets children or adults who struggle with communication or writing transfer their thoughts into a story board creator. It's a great tool for kids on the autism spectrum, kids in special education, or adults with disabilities to be able to put their thoughts into symbols to tell a story. I think this would be an awesome way to bridge the gap in learning and communication with the use of technology.

This is one way that I plan to be a great teacher via the use of technology.


Screenshot image from the iTunes Apple App Store





No comments:

Post a Comment